See, Taste, and Experience Life on the Farm: 2017 Sustainable Farm Tour and Workshop Series Brochure Now Available
Would you like to take a leisurely stroll through organic fields and pastures or learn basic homesteading skills? Do you want to tour the farms of beginning growers who are making a go of their farm dreams and learn from their experiences? Or hear stories from Ohio’s founding sustainable farmers? Do you want to learn the ins and outs of growing food in the city and on reclaimed urban lots? Or, would you like to learn how to scale up your vegetable production, choose the right equipment for your farm, or process your own poultry?
You’ll have opportunities to do all this and more during OEFFA’s 27 summer farm tours, workshops, and other special events which are part of the 2017 Ohio Sustainable Farm Tour and Workshop Series.
Meet knowledgeable local farmers ready to share their wisdom, and experience sustainable agriculture up close during these farm tours:
- Saturday, June 17: Renewable Energy Farm Tour—Woodland Ridge Farm and Learning Center, Athens Co.
- Tuesday, June 20: On-Farm Research and Organic Vegetable Farm Tour—Artisan Acres, Wayne Co.
- Sunday, June 25: Diversified Beginning Farm Tour—Homecoming Farm, Athens Co.
- Saturday, July 29: Youth Urban Farming Tour—Green Corps Midtown Learning Farm, Cuyahoga Co.
- Friday, August 11: Organic Grain Seed Breeding Farm Tour—Valley View Farm, Logan Co.
- Sunday, August 13: Vegetable Equipment Systems Farm Tour—Mile Creek Farm, Montgomery Co.
- Tuesday, August 22: Grass-Fed Livestock Farm Tour—Grassroots Farm, Pike Co.
- Sunday, September 10: Healthy Soil Farm Tour—Margraf Family Farm, Seneca Co.
- Saturday, September 23: Cheesemaking and Homestead Tour—Blackstone Farm, Monroe Co.
- Saturday, October 21: Pasture-Raised Livestock Beginning Farm Tour—Moores Heritage Farm, Ashtabula Co.
Develop your production skills, plan your farm dream, tour the countryside, network with beginning farmers, and taste summer’s bounty during these workshops and special events:
- Tuesday, August 8: Young and Beginning Farmers Q&A and Networking Session—Rambling House Soda, Franklin Co.
- Sunday, August 20: The Farmers’ Table—Maplestar Farm, Geauga Co.
- Sunday, September 10: Poultry Processing for the Small Farm and Homestead Workshop—Tea Hills Farms, Ashland Co.
- Sunday, September 24: Harvest Bicycle Ride—Fairfield Co.
- Sunday, October 15: Farm Vision Workshop—OEFFA, Franklin Co.
- October 2017-February 2018: Heartland Farm Beginnings® Training Course—OEFFA, Franklin Co.
- Friday, November 3-Saturday, November 4: Grow More Vegetables, Make More Money Workshop—Procter Center, Madison Co.
Learn how to farm in the city and achieve food security, and tour thriving urban agriculture projects that are reclaiming vacant properties, during these urban agriculture farm tours and workshops presented by Central State University Cooperative Extension:
- Saturday, June 24: Urban CSA Farm Tour—Urban Greens, Hamilton Co.
- Friday, July 28: Diversified Urban Development Farm Tour—New Harvest Cafe and Urban Arts Center, Franklin Co.
- Saturday, August 12: Personal Food Security Workshop—CSU Dayton Auditorium, Montgomery Co.
- Saturday, September 2: Urban Livestock Farm Tour—Glass City Goat Gals, Lucas Co.
- Wednesday, September 20: Farm the City on Solid Legal Ground Workshop—Cuyahoga County CSU Extension, Cuyahoga Co.
Explore audio excerpts, photography, multimedia pieces, and print materials from OEFFA’s Growing Right Oral History project during a stop on its tour of central Ohio farmers’ markets and groceries:
- Saturday, June 10 and Saturday, August 19—North Market Farmers’ Market
- Wednesday, June 14 and Wednesday, July 19—Franklin Park Conservatory Farmers’ Market
- Thursday, July 6—Bexley Farmers’ Market
- Friday, July 7 and Wednesday, August 16—Franklinton Gardens Produce Stand
- Tuesday, July 11 and Friday, August 4—Pearl Market
- Friday, July 14—Raisin Rack
- Saturday, July 15—Clintonville Farmers’ Market
- Friday, July 21—Keller Market House and Lancaster Art Walk
- Saturday, August 5—Worthington Farmers’ Market
Visit with OEFFA member farms during these annual open houses:
- Saturday, June 10: Snowville Creamery, Meigs Co.
- Sunday, July 16: Foraged & Sown, Franklin Co.
- Sunday, September 17: Carriage House Farm, Hamilton Co.
- Saturday, October 21: Pastured Providence Farmstead, Ross Co.
This series is also promoted in cooperation with The Ohio State University Extension Sustainable Agriculture Team and the Clintonville Farmers’ Market, who are sponsoring 16 additional tours and workshops.
All events are free and open to the public, unless otherwise indicated in the series brochure.
For more information and complete details for all workshops and farm tours, click here.